CT City through to the TKO semis


Cape Town City won a seven-goal thriller against Baroka FC after extra time at the Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane on Saturday to become the first team to advance into the semifinals of the Telkom Knockout.


The thrilling match ended 4-3 in favour of the Citizens after two hours of end-to-end football, with substitute Sibusiso Masina netting the decisive goal on 115 minutes.


The Cape side started strongly and claimed a deserved lead eight minutes into the match, with Lebogang Manyama and Aubrey Ngoma combining to cut open the hosts’ defence before Lehlohonolo Majoro had an easy finish into an almost unguarded net.


Just 12 minutes later CTC doubled their advantage, with Ngoma getting to the by-line on the left of the box before chipping a cross into the middle for Bhongolwethu Jayiya to arrive late and easily head home for 2-0.


Baroka responded by making two substitutions either side of the half hour mark. Khalid Aucho appeared to be injured when he was replaced by Jacky Motshegwa, while Cleopas Dube was pulled off to make way for Geofrey Massa in a tactical change.


CTC appeared to be in complete control, but on the stoke of halftime they conceded what coach Eric Tinkler will consider an unacceptably sloppy goal, with Baroka defender Mathari Mothupa heading home from a free kick.


The visitors continued to look dangerous in attack and created several good openings early in the second half, the best of which saw Majoro direct Ngoma’s cross on target in the 56th minute, but he was denied by a great save from Oscarine Masuluke.


Baroka then hit back for a second time to level the score just before the hour mark, with Motshegwa getting his left foot to a dropping ball outside the box and volleying home for 2-2. Goalkeeper Shu-Aib Walters appeared to be unsighted when the shot came in.


The match looked set to finish at 2-2 and head to extra time, but instead it finished 3-3 before the extra half hour, with Given Mashikinya scoring a superb free kick to put CTC ahead in injury time, only for Mzwanele Mahashe to respond with a neat turn and shot into the net within 60 seconds.


Chances were created at either end in extra time, but it took until the 115th minute for the seventh goal to arrive, with Manyama teeing up Sibusiso Masina to drive home a low shot and put Cape Town City 4-3 up.


Baroka FC (1) 3 (Mothupa 45+1’, Motshegwa 59’, Mahashe 90+2’)


Cape Town City (2) 4 (Majoro 8’, Jayiya 20’, Mashikinya 90+1’, Masina 115’)


Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.